March 20, 2020
Donations of personal protective equipment (PPE)
Local hospitals and medical centers currently have an acute need for personal protective equipment (PPE), including surgical masks, face shields, N95s, sanitizer, gloves, safety gowns, and transport media. These hospitals are desperate for any of these supplies, and are actively reaching out for our assistance in getting through this time of great need.
MIT is collecting all such extra unopened PPE for rapid donation. Each DLC should designate a secure, single collection point (e.g., a lockable room) and inform your laboratories and EHS Associate Director Nick Paquin (firstname.lastname@example.org) about this central location. Please enable laboratories who have excess PPE inventory to sort items into broad categories, e.g., specify large boxes to contain like items (N95, masks, gloves, etc.) without mixing one type with other types.
Each laboratory should assess its own needs and retain what is needed to safely complete approved laboratory maintenance and Covid-related research. If no one in a laboratory is planning to be on campus, please do not come in just for this purpose.
We will coordinate pick up of these items and will determine how to distribute the items in a fair and equitable fashion, based on need and service area. If you are asked for donations going forward or have already received such requests but not addressed them, please forward your requests to email@example.com.
on behalf of the MIT Medical outreach team
How to donate extra, unopened items (see list below):
- Each DLC designates a secure, single collection point (e.g., a lockable room); inform your lab staff of the location
- Email the location to Nick Paquin firstname.lastname@example.org
- Sort items into broad categories that contain like items (N95, masks, gloves, etc.); do not mix items
- Email questions and pick-up requests to email@example.com
If you are asked for donations: please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Items being collected:
- Face masks: N95, clinical, surgical, other
- Face shields
- Powered air-purifying respirators
- Cleaning wipes with bleach
- Hand sanitizers
- Swabs: Dacron, rayon, or nylon swabs
- Culture media: UTM (Universal Transport Media), COPAN Swab Transport System, Starplex Multitrans System, VCM (viral collection media), REMEL